Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Candace's 2013


I could sum up 2013 in two words: challenging and adventure. This is the year I have FINALLY become whole again and think I have figured out what it is I want to do with my life (or I at least have a better idea). It's the year that I finally felt as if I was exactly where I was supposed to be, doing what I was meant to do. So here you go, big events from 2013:

Early in 2013 I began the process of getting a job at OU...the one I ended up getting and have now.  (The one that consumes so much of my time - though I must say, I'm getting much better at managing work and personal...even if it did take me nine months.) In April, I left Sysco and began as OU's social media marketing manager. It has been both a challenge and an adventure. Most days I love it. There have been a few days I'd love for my phone to disappear. And one or two days when I'd love to disappear, but I do feel it's where I'm supposed to be.  Along with this new job, has come so many opportunities, events and all-around excitement. I watched football on the field, hung out with Jep and Jessica Robertson for a day and Barry Switzer in his living room, hosted an Instameet on campus and my favorite thing of all - spoke at conferences, events and schools about social media, online identity and digital citizenship.

In May, I turned 28. The very same day, Oklahoma had some of the worst storms in Oklahoma history. Luckily, my brother and Lauren had come down to celebrate with birthday dinner. We wound up in the student union with my friend Laura and several hundred of our "closest friends." It was so nice of everyone to get together for me like that. ;) It wasn't ideal, but at the end of that batch of storms, my home was still standing and that's so much more than other people had at that time. Not to mention, I had some pretty great company.

In August, my sister, Cortney, and I took a trip to Washington D.C. We both love DC.  We ate good food, met interesting people, almost got hit by a car, rode the entire Metro 500 times (or so it seems) and enjoyed a lot of sister time and people watching. (I LOVE the metro and would love to live somewhere I didn't need a car.)

Speaking of cars, I began the process of car shopping in the summer. Car shopping proved to be the worst. The. Worst. I'm writing a post about my experience. Stay tuned. It's a good one - full of awkward Candace moments. In the end it all worked out and I happily drive my new 2013 Dodge Challenger R/T V8 Hemi. (Btw, the ticket I got was NOT in my car - it was in a CNG-powered truck and I thought I truly deserved an award for getting it to go as fast as the hi-po said I was going.) Jovie even has a special car seat and loves it.

Speaking of Jovie, she turned two this year (on September 1) and we celebrated two years together (on 11-11)! She is such a happy part of my everyday life. If you know me at all, you know what she means to me.  And if you don't know me so well, just have a look at my Instagram feed (@candacepants). ;)

My DIY Chair Revamp was featured on Brit+Co in August but I saw it just the other day. It was a very nice surprise.

And lastly, this year also began my roller derby adventure! Roller derby is the hardest, funnest thing I've ever done.  I was looking for something to whip me into shape (check!), give me something extracurricular and fun to do - like something I do for me and no one else and simply because I want to do it (check!) and a way to meet new people and make new friends (check!). Also, having played competitive sports in high school and semi-playing intramurals in college, I missed being a part of a team and having something competitive in my life.  This has been the best thing that could have happened to me. It's proved to be a great outlet and stress reliever. The girls are beautiful, strong athletes and great people. It can be very lonely going home alone day after day. So getting to go to practice and hang out with other girls who share a common interest has been a big part of me becoming whole again - a big part of what keeps me happy. We've been training hard and will test and have try-outs in January. 

So for 2014, I have an ambitious and exciting to-do list ready and waiting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment