Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Happy Birthday, Mom

My mom and dad like to ride 4-wheelers.  I've mentioned this before.  Sometimes they ride on the river.  When it's warmer and especially when it's hot and muggy, there are gnats everywhere.  Huge mass swarms of them.  I used to encounter gnats when I was running.  There's nothing like huffing and puffing and sucking down a throat full of bugs.  Or riding a 4-wheeler and getting nailed in the face by a swarm.

My mom was going to avoid this fate by any means necessary.  She happened to have a mesh gift bag in the truck so she wore it on her head so that she wouldn't get bugs in her mouth, nose, eyes, etc.

While riding at night, they happened upon some river people and decided to stop and chat.  Clearly they don't listen when I tell them not to talk to strangers.  Now, when I say river people I mean river people...similar to hill people,  moonshiners or good morning, Appalachia, have you counted your toes lately?  They live on the river, off the grid most of the time and you don't want to cross them.  They will make stew out of you.

So one guy standing there eating a can of Beanie Weanies, looks over at my mom and says:

I've never seen one in real life but this is how I imagine they [river people] look.

And I don't know why, but I basically think this is the funniest story ever.

Happy birthday, Mom!  I'm glad you weren't stew meat!  Also, my mom's birthday isn't until the end of the month but she wanted her birthday blog post up all month.  Someone is spoiled.

7 comments:

  1. HA HA HA HA HA, that's good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although the story is true and the comment is word for word, the river people are not quite as my daughter describes them. Not quite matching the above picture, they are good people and i consider myself kind of one. SO, I guess that would make Candace, the daughter of river people! Happy Birthday Lisa!

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have embellished a little. :) I sure do love my river people parents.

      Delete
  3. Lol, I just had to read this out loud to Sean. Dying! We love that moonshiners show BTW. Happy Bday Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah....I like that show also. And Cortney and Jeremy got me watching Gold Rush.

      Delete
  4. Love my birthday blog, but in my defense, it was a white organza gift bag which is much more luxurious than a plain mesh one--I lean toward being an elitist river person.
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete