Pages

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Gift Wrapping Tips

If there is one thing in this world I am good at, it is wrapping gifts.  It's become my own personal Christmas tradition.  Each year I choose a different theme and spend hours wrapping and finishing them so they look perfect.  And then feel more than a twinge of sadness when the gifts have been unwrapped and the paper has been cast into the recycling.  Oh well, it's nice to enjoy them while they last and here are my tips for wrapping gifts flawlessly.  (I should probably tell you I never use gift bags so this is only a post about wrapping gift boxes.)  Feel free to share some of your best gift wrapping tips in the comments below!  I'd love to know what/how others do it and what themes others use!  Merry Christmas and may your days be merry and bright!
  • Always, always ALWAYS ask for a gift box/boxes when shopping for gifts.  Most stores have them available and are happy to give them to you to wrap your gifts in.   Some stores will offer these to you - especially if you request a gift receipt, but in the event they don't offer, ask!  At Dillard's and Bass Pro Shops, they give them to customers at the service desk after checkout.  Each store is different.  Some have them behind the checkout counter.
  • Speaking of gift receipts, make sure to ask for these as well.  It's only polite even if you are 100% sure the person receiving the gift is going to like it.  You can't be too careful or courteous.

Gift receipt taped to box.

  • When wrapping gifts, I like to tape the gift receipt to the top of the box, that way it doesn't get lost within the gift or the tissue paper and is easily accessible if they need to return/exchange.  


  • Tissue paper is almost always too big for the box you are using.  To size it down, I like to crease it in the center so that it still looks clean and neat.
  • If wrapping several boxes that are the same size, cut your wrapping paper to fit and then use as a template to cut the wrapping paper for all the other boxes.  Then your paper is cut and ready for each box.  Saves so much time!
  • I can't stand seeing tape on gift wrap (this is my own, personal pet peeve on gifts I give) so my secret for perfectly flawless wrapping is low temp hot glue.  This year, I used brown shipping paper (my theme was brown paper packages tied up with string, these are a few of my favorite things!) and it worked especially well since the paper was sooooo thick.  When using thin paper, I use double stick tape.  Note:  I use regular tape to attach the wrapping paper to the box itself or anywhere on the "inside" of the wrapping that doesn't show when it's finished.  I only use hot glue/double stick tape on the outer parts.


Crease the edges.

  • After the package is wrapped, I like to crease the edges so they look extra crisp and clean.  You can see in the photo above the before and after.
  • When your box is wrapped, you can embellish and decorate any way you like.  That part is my favorite!  I use Photoshop to design finishing touches but stores like Hobby Lobby have many options to choose from and a lot of blogs/websites have printables available.  Ribbon and tulle are also fun, festive options.
  • Like I said above, I always like to choose a theme.  It's not necessary but I love the way it looks.  None are identical, but they all go together.  Here are my wrapped gifts from this year.  See more HERE.



Now, what are your best wrapping tips??  And what are some of your favorite themes?

No comments:

Post a Comment