Pages

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Favorite Things Summer Edition

Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain


I'm super low maintenance as far as makeup goes.  Not great with techniques and I love sleep so my morning routine needs to be snappy since I'm usually in a rush.  Generally I opt for Carmex for my lips as I'm rushing out the door.  Then I saw a commercial staring Emma Stone that caught my eye and I decided to give this a try.  I went with "Sweetheart Valentine" and I love it (I'm wearing it in a few pictures HERE).  It's bright and summery, not dry like a lot of stains are.  It feels like I'm putting on chap stick.  I like that it's shaped more like a giant eye liner pencil and not a traditional lip stick.  For some reason this is easier for me to use and it smells wonderful. Like a peppermint stick.  So for me, as far as lip stuff goes, it's really all I could ever want.


Tomatoes


My parents always plant a garden.  Last year it fizzled out and there were hardly any tomatoes.  So they planted again this year hoping to have a better crop and did they ever!  My mom has sent me numerous photos just like the one above - their dining room table covered in fresh-picked, home-grown tomatoes. They are delicious and definitely taste like summer.  My parents also make salsa.  Oh my word it's delicious!  It's another summer favorite thing and given they've canned so much salsa this summer, it will probably make all future favorite lists.

Beanitos Black Bean Chips


Speaking of salsa, that brings me to my next favorite.  Beanitos Black Bean Chips.  Because the salsa is sooooo delicious, I've been eating a lot of it.  But I don't want to sit around stuffing my face with Lays and Tostitos.  One day I walked into my parent's house and found these sitting on the counter.  These with their salsa are a winning combination AND I found some at Target when I got home.  They are gluten free, high in fiber, high in Omega-3s and have four grams protein per serving.  They corn free and have a low glycemic index.  So while they still have to be eaten in moderation, I don't feel quite as bad about indulging.

Herbalife Herbal Tea Concentrate in Lemon


I started a boot camp at the beginning of July and have been eating healthier.  I also purchased some Herbalife shake mix but I love the Herbal Tea Concentrate in lemon.  I mix with either Cranberry Lime or Lemon Propel and it's both delicious and refreshing.  In the summer I tend to stay thirsty constantly and this is one of my favorite sippers and far better than sweet tea, which is what I used to drink constantly.  I've also mixed it with plain water and it's not bad either.

L'Oreal Sublime Sun Advanced Sunscreen in SPF 30

I wear sunscreen on a daily basis and it's especially necessary in these terrible Oklahoma summers.  This is a great, easy-to-use spray (you do still have to rub it in).  It goes on quickly and doesn't leave a greasy feel.  The protection is great and it's said to be infused with antioxidants like vitamin E and white grape seed that supposedly enhance the benefits of sunscreen.  It offers long lasting protection and is also available in spf 50 as well as special formulas for the face.  And it doesn't have a horrible smell.  Remember, if you're tan, you're toast.  I'll pass on the wrinkles and skin cancer.

The 2012 Summer Olympics


Who doesn't love the Summer Olympics?!?  The tradition, the camaraderie, the competition, the unity-there's nothing else like it.   The opening ceremony did remind me a little of the Hunger Games and was exactly what I pictured a quidditch arena looking like.  But that hill with the tree and the fireworks....WOW!  I think my favorite part of the Olympics are the athletes' stories.  They all have a story.  No story is the same and so very many are inspirational.  I also love the different cultures.  It's all so diverse and interesting.  Excited to see what these games bring and hoping they bring pride and uplifting unity to our nation that seems so jaded and broken lately.  USA! USA! USA!

So these are my favorite summer things.  What are some of yours?!?

(These are my thoughts and opinions.  I was not compensated for any of these.  These items are simply things I like, enjoy and/or find useful.)

6 comments:

  1. Love this post! Revlon and Beanitos should pay you commission or something :-) I definitely want to get some of that lipstick now. And I love the Beanitos too! I'm pretty sure your parents got those chips at our health food store in Denton when they were down here. So another one of your favorite things should be Denton, I mean it's where your favorite people are :-) Also, I want to know why the Herbalife shake isn't on your list haha. Some of my fave things this summer are watermelon, cupcakes from Cafe du Luxe and fresh tomatoes from MY parents' garden haha. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Square Donuts would top my list!!! I also got some of the balm stain (in Smitten, I think). You and Holly could probably talk me into buying anything! Oh, and I LOVE THE OLYMPICS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you already had some balm stain or you got it because of this blog post?!?! And what color did you get???

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you found me because now I found YOU!!!! Great blog ;) love your logo!!

    My fav things of summer are ice cream, vneck tees, bbq's, the Olympics!, and late night city walks to name a few!

    Eager to get to know you better ;) yay!! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog!

    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jacy!! I found you when you featured my friend April from Mommy Murray on your Fashion Column and then couldn't stop reading everything else! :)

      Love your summer fave list. City walks--good one!

      So glad we connected in the blog world! Talk to you soon,

      Candace

      Delete