Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

Hunger Games Movie Review

It's finally here!  The Hunger Games movie.  I got to see it today!  Without further delay, this post will mostly be a......rave!  I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.  If you've been reading the blog, you saw all the casting posts and my thoughts on them.  While Jennifer Lawrence still would not have been my first pick for Katniss (her face is just too full for someone from the Seam) she did do a remarkable job.

Some observations from book to movie (these are my opinions - not law - just what I think) There are no spoilers unless you haven't read the book:

  • When Katniss and Gale are in the woods at the beginning, they see a hover craft in the movie.  I suppose this was to illustrate the Capitol because right after that it cuts to a shot of Effie.  
  • HELLO, EFFIE!  Elizabeth Banks was phenomenal.  As was Woody as Haymitch.  And Lenny as Cinna.    
  • Back to the woods.  I just had a real hangup with this whole woods scene.  Katniss and Gale's relationship seemed a tad forced and not nearly as natural as the script was getting at.  Also, Katniss was trying to take out a deer and then Gale stops her.  Deer was never mentioned in the book, that I remember anyway.  And Gale had a valid point, how is she going to haul a 115 pound deer back to town and trade for it on the day of the Reaping.  Silly movie Katniss.
  • Buttercup was terrible!  He was black and white in the movie.  That doesn't make sense.  They couldn't at least find a yellow cat?!?
  • There was no Madge in the movie.  I really wanted to see a Madge.  Madge was supposed to give her the Mockingjay pin.  She wasn't supposed to be given it for free at the Hob and then give it to Prim and then Prim give it back to her.  IT WAS SUPPOSED TO COME FROM MADGE!  In the book I liked that it came from Madge because she was the Mayor's daughter and, I don't know, just saw it as a whole other level of rebellion.  Like the fact that the Mayor's daughter had it to begin with was a slap to the face of the Capitol.
  • President Snow was downright terrifying in the movie.  Nicely done, Donald Sutherland.
  • In the movie, Haymitch wasn't at the reaping.  There was no spectacle.
  • Other than no Haymitch at the Reaping, that part was basically right on.  It was intense and moving.
  • OMG the scene where Rue dies.  I'm not ashamed to say I shed a few tears.  It got to me more than I thought that part would.  Especially since I knew it was coming!  Also during that part, my brother-in-law Jeremy got up and we all accused him of it being too much for him.  He said he didn't want everyone to see him cry.  Ha!  
  • I would have liked to have gotten to know the other Districts better in the movie.  Like what district produces what, but only because I find those types of things interesting. 
  • The people of the Capitol looked EXACTLY the way I pictured them.
  • Stanley Tucci is the perfect Caesar Flickerman...even though he told Chelsea Handler his fiance told him to take the part and he has no interest in this type of book at all.  Score one for the fiance.
  • In the book I was team Gale and in the movie I'm team Peeta. :(  I'm so torn.  But Josh Hutcherson was so convincing and gave such an earnest performance and I still see Liam Hemsworth as a dumb jock. 
  • Loved the Tracker Jacker scene.
  • Maybe it's just morbid curiosity, but I wanted to see the hover craft come and collect the bodies and they didn't in the movie.
  • Also in the movie, it wasn't clear that the dog mutations were fallen Tributes.
  • One thing I loved about the movie was that it showed what was going on back home while Katniss and Peeta were in the games.  It also shows the game's control center.  Fantastic, futuristic electronics.  The inner workings I found interesting.
  • It wasn't as gory as I thought it would be.
  • We watched it on the IMAX and at times it was hard to see exactly what was happening because the screen was so big.  I definitely want to see it again on a smaller screen or sitting farther back.
So that's my initial take on it.  I thought it was an amazing adaptation and can't wait to see the other two. Let the casting for Catching Fire begin!  

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen it yet. Shame on me! I'm excited to see Woody as Haymitch...he seems perfect for the part. Also, I'm a little nervous about possibly switching to Team Peeta - I was more Team Gale in the book. Hmmm... Thanks for the review :-)

    ReplyDelete