Pages

Friday, December 9, 2011

Christmas Photos on ABC World News!


Yesterday was a fantastic day (minus the trip to the dentist-- but that's a different post).  I have an app on my phone called Instagram.  If you have an iphone, you must get this (free) app!  When using Instagram, you can take pictures (or upload from your existing photo library), add filters to make them look a certain way and then share them on other sites such as Twitter or Facebook.  It's also a way to follow other IGers, "like" and/or comment their photos and see what's happening in any part of the world.  It's super easy and there's always something new to look at.  It's a wonderful social media platform for both amateur and professional photographers.  Like with other social media sites, hashtags are important.  They are how your photos discovered and categorized.

I happen to follow ABC World News on Instagram.  They post fascinating photos all the time and, many times, ask for people to submit photos related to stories they are working on.  Yesterday, they asked for photos of ugly Christmas sweaters to be submitted with the hashtag #WNUgly.  I submitted all of the family photos.  They immediately started getting a lot of "likes" and comments on Instagram.  Several people even started following me. 

That night when I got home I turned on ABC World News, not thinking my photos would be on there.  I assumed they'd contact me if they were going to use them.  As other news stories were playing, I got online to see if there was a slideshow up.  (They said on Instagram there would be a slideshow and a news story).  I found the slideshow and there, at number three, was my brother!

Caption:  "Brother bear in his Christmas vest," writes Candace Timmons of this very special sweater. A small tree, not a common holiday-sweater accessory, adds a jaunty note. (Courtesy Candace Timmons)
 
To see the whole slideshow, click HERE.

So as I'm looking through the slideshow, the story about the ugly Christmas sweaters comes on the news.  I sat watching with great anticipation and then........there was Cortney and Jeremy (my sister and brother-in-law) and their dog Pate!  And then Bubba (my brother) shortly after!  You can see them on the video below.  Cortney and Jeremy are at 1:14 and Bubba is at 1:25


As soon as it was over I got a text message from my friend Karry saying she had just seen my brother and sister on the news.  I was also trying to call everyone in my family to let them know and none of them were answering their phones!  Finally I reach Jeremy, who was having dinner with Cortney and told them.  Jeremy had gotten a text from one of his friends saying they saw it too.  My parents were very excited and then, when I finally talked to Bubba, he was the most excited of all.

This may not be earth-shattering news, but it is fun.  And in the midst of all the bad, it's so nice to be a part of something that makes people laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment