Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Master Plans, New Friends, Birthdays and Plane Cakes

So naturally, a new job means new co-workers.  My parents are probably the only people who know exactly how apprehensive I was about a new work atmosphere.  To be frank, I was terrified.  I was such a natural fit at my first job.  I became great friends with so many there-specifically Amy and Jeannie who became my very best friends.  Needless to say, moving to a city where I really didn't know anyone and starting a job where there weren't any familiar faces was completely daunting.

******
Side story:  One of my cousins was the person who told me about the job opening.  I applied and you know how it ended...I got the job!  But before all that, my cousin was looking for within the company, or university in this case.  She finally gave up and turned it over to God, knowing he had a great, master plan.  She was an incredible support and help to me throughout my lengthy (and stressful) application and interview process.  She helped me find things around campus, told me about the department and was a big source of constant encouragement.  I know it sounds cliche, but I truly don't know what I would have done without her.  One week after I got the job, she got a promotion!  Such great news, but it meant we were only on the same campus for ONE week.  I can't help but wonder if He kept her there for me.  And, given the way everything fell into place with me getting the job, moving up here so quickly, finding an apartment that was practically made for me so close to campus and her promotion coming right after I'd secured everything.....it's amazing when you can look back and piece together how one of those intricately amazing master plans came together.   Just thought I'd share.

******

So back to my new co-workers.  It's safe to say I had nothing to worry about!  They have all been great. I told Amy we could do a line-up like on Sean of the Dead when the two groups walk by each other and each member of one group is a mirror image of someone in the other group.  Not that they're exactly the same but at times, I can definitely see resemblances.  They have been welcoming and warm and fun!  Most of all, they have made me feel like I'm a part of them-that I belong-and for that, I will always be thankful.  AND, they celebrate birthdays and love food!  Those of you who know me know I can find a way to celebrate (and blog about) ANYTHING so I have really enjoyed joining this team.  As of late, we have been celebrating a lot of office birthdays!  Today was Shane's birthday.  Shane is one of those people who is always smiling.  He's also in the process of getting his pilot's license.

Now, those of you who know me also know I LOVE to put people's faces on things.  My brother has probably gotten the worst of this hobby, though I think he enjoys it.  I once did an entire "Barney's Book of Hugs" with him as the lead kid.  Then there was Martha Stewart, Siegfried and Roy, Buddy the Elf and I could go on and on.  Maybe I'll post a blog consisting of only things I've put his face on.  Ha! Yeah, that's a must.

But today was Shane's turn:

Once I photoshopped his face on the plane, the only thing left was the cupcakes.  I went with dark chocolate fudge and my mom's famous cream cheese icing, which usually goes on carrot cake but was a nice pairing with dark chocolate also.   A few drops of blue food coloring transformed the icing into the "sky" and marshmallows made the perfect "clouds."  I cut the Shane planes out, taped them to coffee stick stirrers and poked them in the center of the cupcakes.  These were fun and simple, yet very well received.  So should you have a pilot or someone who enjoys planes in your life, this is a sure-to-please idea.  And forgive the mussed icing....they took a tumble in my car on the way to work...I almost cried.  Almost.

That's all for now.  Happy Birthday to Shane and have a good night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment