Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Deviled Eggs With a Kick

I can't say that I know anyone who doesn't like deviled eggs.  They are a generally a crowd pleaser and I am kicking it up a notch just in time for Easter dinner at my grandparent's house.  Went to see my grandma yesterday, who by the way is doing much better-thanks for the prayers!!-and I told her I was making deviled eggs.  When I left, the last thing she said to me was, "Don't forget the deviled eggs!"

Then had a slight panic this morning while having brunch with Jeremiah.  He was checking his Facebook from his phone and said, "Someone said Wal-Mart is like it is at Christmas."  Panicked I said, "Oooooh noooooo!  I have to make deviled eggs!  Everyone is probably making deviled eggs!"  Jeremiah said, "Ummmmm, I think everyone will want eggs to dye for Easter eggs."  He was so right and always stating the obvious.  I hadn't even thought of that.  But after getting to Wal-Mart and marching straight back to the egg bin, there were in fact some eggs!  Usually I like the Organic brow variety but one carton of those had a hair stuck to it, one carton was missing an egg and I didn't check the third since I needed two cartons.  I went with Eggland's Best Extra Large eggs.


So first, I took some pictures of the eggs.  Ha!  Ok, really, first I filled my very favorite Emeril stock pot with water.  Didn't measure, just left some room for the boil.


Then I placed 24 eggs in the water.  For those of you who aren't a math wiz, this will make 48 deviled egg halves if there are no casualties.


When the water begins to boil, set timer for 20 minutes and turn the heat down to medium if it's not already.  I've read about various ways to hard boil eggs.  Someone said to bring the eggs to a boil, remove from heat, cover and let sit for 12 minutes.  Others said different things.  This is the Candace method derived from years and years of my mom telling me, "I don't want my yolks runny!" when I boiled eggs while living at home.  So according to us, it's ok if the shell cracks.  At least you know it's done.  Note:  a cracked shell isn't good if you're planning to decorate for Easter eggs.


Ding!  When the timer goes off, remove the pot from the burner and place under cold running water.  I just let the pot overflow with cold water for a while.  I boiled the "EB" right off these eggs!


When they are cool enough to not scald your fingers, begin to peel them.



Rinse off shell debris and cut in half.


Pop the very cooked yolk out into a bowl.


When all the yolks are ready add:
8 tablespoons Mayonnaise
6 tablespoons Spicy Brown Mustard
6 tablespoons Hot Sweet Mustard
3 tablespoons Horseradish Mustard
4 teaspoons white sugar

I used the following but any brands will work:


Use a handheld mixer to mix the ingredients.  When mixed, you can either pipe the mixture into the egg halves or use a spoon.  This time I used my Pampered Chef small cookie scoop.  It worked really well.  When the mixture is in the eggs, add a pimiento stuffed green olive to the top of each one. And here we are:


Oh yeah!  A dash of paprika and you're good to go.  Place in the refrigerator until you're ready to serve.  As you can see, I only ended up with 35.  Jeremiah tested them for me and said they were "really terrible" as he ate one after another. :)  


Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment