Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Hunger Games: The Movie

If you're one of my friends, acquaintances, family members or some random person I saw on the street and thought should know, I've probably told you about the book trilogy by Suzanne Collins:  The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay.  And if I haven't told you before, I'm telling you now: Terrific books!  Everyone should read them.  These books kick the Twilight series' butt.  But my dislike of the Twilight series is a completely different post I will save for another time.

If you haven't read The Hunger Games trilogy, shame on you!  Only kidding, here is a brief summary and don't worry, no spoilers.  Set in a post-apocalyptic America, Katniss Everdeen must participate in a fight-to-the-death annual event called the Hunger Games.  The battles are televised and youths from each of the Capitol's other 12 districts are pitted against each other.  Everyone is required to watch and there is a love-triangle complication she is forced to deal with.

Now, as with most excellent books except for J.D. Sallinger's Catcher in the Rye and some not so great books like The Devil Wears Prada and The Nanny Diaries, a movie is soon to follow.  Generally I'm not crazy about movies based on books but my number one rule when watching this type of movie is I always always ALWAYS read the book first.  My other book psychosis:  when I start a book, I have to finish it no matter how terrible it is because if I don't finish it I will forever wonder what happened.  I'm suffering through Eat, Pray, Love right now because of that.  Again, whole other blog post but why do I care about a woman's quest to find herself.  I'm nothing like her and (possible spoiler alert) seems to me like she left her husband for no good reason.  It didn't say that he was mean or abusive or cheating on her.  Maybe I'd appreciate that book more if I were a whiny, middle-aged divorcee who was impossible to please.

Anyway, here is the girl to play Katniss Everdeen:

Photo by Pamela Littky
Jennifer Lawrence.  Feedback seems to be good so far.  She was in award-winning "Winter's Bone."  Unfortunately she was also a regular on The Bill Engvall Show.  Gag.  But maybe if she could tolerate all that nonsense she really is gifted.  In interviews she seems very normal.  Suzanne Collins is excited about her playing Katniss.  I was so convinced that Hollywood would ruin this trilogy my only hope was that they didn't choose someone who was giggly.  I think they have achieved this.  She should be ok.  Others who were in the running to play Katniss are Oscar nominee Hailee Steinfeld (True Grit), Abigail Breslin (Zombieland and Little Miss Sunshine) and Emily Browning (Sucker Punch).  One minor flaw with Jennifer is Katniss is 16 when the first book begins.  Jennifer will be 21 by the time The Hunger Games comes to the silver screen.  It seems they are casting older characters for whatever reason so her co-stars will probably be around the same age except for those, like Haymitch, who are clearly a little older.

Prim Everdeen (Katniss's kid sister) is rumored to be played by:


Jackie Evancho.  If she looks or her name sounds familiar, it's probably because she came in second in America's Got Talent and has a big opera voice for such a little person.
Why she's probably up for the gig:  She had to endure David Hasslehoff's creepy appearance and she seems to exude that sweet and steady persona young Prim has in the books.
Whe she might not be the best choice:  Since when does appearing on a reality talent show mean you're an actress?

The subject of who should play which character has been of much discussion both with my friend Amy at work and my sister and dad.  A few of our picks are as follows (though some of these are from the 2nd or 3rd books):


My pick for Prim:  Elle Fanning  (NOT Abigail Breslyn)



Gale:  There is no one in the world (except for Jeremiah) that is as stunning as I picture Gale in my mind.  That said, this guy off the Puma index app is a close second.  : D

Peeta Mellark:  My friend Amy and I are in total agreement that Peeta should be "doughy."  After all, his dad is a baker!  And we also think he's not so attractive.  He's plain.  None of these sharp-jaw lookers I've seen posted online.  I choose an older version of Rowley off Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Robert Capron) or the adorable chubby boy from this season of American Idol (Jacee Badeaux).  I'd like to stress OLDER versions of these:




Finnick Odair:  Ryan Reynolds





Mrs. Everdeen (Katniss's mom):  Daryl Hannah or Julie Hagerty



Effie Trinket:  Kristin Chenoweth




Haymitch Abernathy:  Hugh Laurie




Claudius Templeton:  William Shatner



Rue:  Willow Smith


That's all I have for now.  Hope you enjoy and feel free to let me know your thoughts about who should play each character.  And if you haven't read the books, read them so you can jump in on this!  

1 comment:

  1. come on now...peeta?!? NO WAY!!! you do remember the part about his muscular build because of lifting huge bags of flour, right?! haha

    ReplyDelete